Most guys I know are pretty practical creatures. I mean, tell a guy your woes and they’ll do what they can to fix them. Whether the “fix” be knocking someone out or fixing your car, men like to solve problems. So it shouldn’t surprise anyone to know that most men consider buying flowers a waste of money.
Think about it. You pay $50 and they slowly wither and die before your eyes. Then what do you have? An empty vase. Usually a cheap, ugly empty vase that’s not good for much of anything except hiding under the sink. Great.
So far I’m with you. Paying $50 for something that’s just going to die in a week certainly isn’t the most practical thing to buy as a gift. Why not spend your money on something she would have forever – or at least longer than a week. I mean, for the price of roses on Valentine’s day, you could buy her a Kindle for God’s sake! Instead (says The Man) why not buy her a dvd of the first movie you saw together? (Romantic!) A cool app for her phone? (Fantastic!) What about that book you were telling her about? (Intelligent!)
Quite frankly, all of the ideas above are top notch. Heck! Most of them are cheaper than flowers. All of them will last more than a week. On top of that, most women would love all of the above. But I’m here to tell you: Do not write off giving flowers to your woman! They really do mean more to a woman than just colorful plants waiting to die. Let me explain..
Top 10 Reasons to Buy Her Flowers
- They are visual candy and a daily reminder of you. – I know you’re a guy, but even you have to admit that flowers are beautiful. Everyone likes to look at beautiful things. Top that with the fact that for an entire week, every time she looks at those flowers she’ll think of you. A great way to get those juices flowin’!
- They smell great! – Smell is the most powerful sense we have. Not only that, but it’s intimately connected to our memory and thereby, our emotions. She’s going to walk by those flowers and associate good feelings towards you with that scent. Double bang for your buck if you ask me.
- They make you sexier. – Yes, you heard me right. Flowers make you sexier. In a recent study, they paired men with flowers, and that made them significantly more attractive and datable. So show up with bouquet of flowers, or even a single flower and boost your chances!
- They speak a secret language. – In Victorian times flowers were used as a secret code to show how a man felt about a woman. There are also some great myths and legends associated with flowers that make great fodder for the card. For example, I once had someone send me flowers and on the card he explained the flower’s myth and how it related to how he felt about me. Worked like a charm!
- Even cheap flowers buy you points. – Now I won’t say that every woman is like this; but with most women, even the “cheap” flowers will score you points. I know that one of my favorite springtime treats is the $4 bunches of daffodils at Trader Joe’s. I even like the $12 bouquets of flowers you can find at Safeway. Honestly? If a woman turns down her nose at *any* sort of flowers you give with genuineness, think twice about dating her again.
- Go ahead! Tell her how you feel. – Unless you’re a big card person, (like my family), or are a poet by profession, it’s unlikely you’re penning her love notes on a regular basis. Use this opportunity to tell her how you feel. You don’t have to pen a novel, but a thoughtful sentence or two, or a nice quote will have her heart racing (and extend those feel-good benefits.).
- Flowers are mood-enhancing, production-boosting powerhouses. – Multiple studies have shown that flowers boost people’s moods, relieves anxiety and boosts production at work. Wowsers! Talk about packing a wallop. Triple threat! So maybe you know she’s going to have an extra-stressful week? Bam! In comes the flowers. Smooth sailing now baby. Dontcha know it?
- Giving flowers makes you look good. – I know I said that flowers make you sexier; but they also make you look good in other ways. A study done by Rutgers University found that men that give flowers are perceived as happy, achieving, strong, capable and courageous people. Now how’s that for advertising? Not only are you making her feel good; but you’re looking better and better. Now you’re cooking baby!
- The numbers are in your favor. – You want practical? Here you go: 92% of women remember the last time they received flowers. 88% of survey respondents say a gift of flowers changes their mood for the better. 83% say they like to receive flowers unexpectedly. 86% say receiving flowers makes them feel special. 99% say that a person who gives flowers is thoughtful. Good Lord mister! What else can I say?!
- And last but not least..women like flowers silly! Duh. – In yet another study, virtually 100% of women who were presented with flowers as a gift smiled a real or “Duchenne” smile. Unless she’s allergic, she likes flowers. Even if she tells you she doesn’t, she’s probably lying and she likes flowers.
Now before you hop on the phone or computer, let me give you a some tips on how to maximize your efforts!
Flower Buying Tips
- Make sure she’s not allergic.
- Give with reason.
- Give for no reason.
- Be your sneakiest and find out her favorite flower. (Or just ask her!)
- Think green and buying locally.
- Don’t give her one of those cheesy flower cakes or weird bouquets. Stick to a simple arrangement.
- Don’t just sign your name on the card, actually write something!
- If you’re still twitching on the “it’s gonna die” issue, buy a potted flower instead. (i.e. lavender, African violet, orchid, etc) Just don’t complain if she has a black thumb and kills it in a week anyway.
- Bonus points! Bring her a bouquet you picked from your yard.
Now go get ‘er tiger and good luck!