[Originally posted to my blog ‘Point of Tears’ on Jul 15, 2005.]
I really dislike having to do my resume. Hmmm . . . come to think of it, that just might be why I’ve only had one job in the past seven plus years that required me to have a resume. Of course, that being said, I’m damn lucky to have several people to use as resources that are experts at putting together a resume.
Now you might not know this, but if you have a community college close by you probably have a professional that’s ready and willing to help you with your resume as well!
You didn’t know that many community colleges have career centers that are open to the public now did you? Yep. It normally doesn’t matter whether or not you are a student or just a member of the community! Most of ‘em allow EVERYONE to utilize their resources!
That usually includes:
- – Resume, cover letter, job search, job interview, and salary negotiation workshops.
- – Use of their computers to do create resumes, cover letters, and do job searches
- – Use of their fax to send out resumes and receive information from employers.
- – A professional resume make-over or help creating a brand new resume.
- – Help creating cover letters, thank you letters, and letters of inquiry to prospective employers.
- – Use of their usually extensive library of books, videos, and dvds regarding the job search, resumes, cover letters, finding your perfect career, job interviews, etc.
- – Help practcing job interviews.
- – Local newspapers on hand so you can check out the classifieds.
- – And many more things that I just can’t think of right now!
So. If you’re in need of any of the above services, be sure to call over to your local community college to see if they can hook you up! And pass the word!
Oh. And yes, my resume rocks HARD now.
Thank you Mission College!